Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Summer Fun with Glitz Design

Happy July 3rd everyone!!  Wow!  I can hardly believe that tomorrow is the fourth of July! Summer is going by at record speed and I want to slow down and enjoy each and every minute.  If the winters weren't so long here in Montana, I might think differently, that's for sure!  For now, I will enjoy the nice long days and the warm weather that summer brings!   This month's challenge for Glitz Design fits right into the summer theme!!
Here's the challenge:
and here's my take on the Summer Fun Challenge:
I am so excited that Glitz Design has gone digital!!!!  Digital elements give you so many more choices in the creative process!  You can change the size and the color.  You can layer the elements or you can print the elements and fussy cut them like me!  I love the whole idea of digital projects, but I love to touch and feel my work!  If I can't touch it, it just isn't the same for me.  So, rather than going just digital, I choose the hybrid alternative and combine the tools and techniques of both digital and traditional papercrafting.

In my first project I opened up the Pretty In Pink Ledger Paper in Photoshop Elements:

I used the crop tool to resize the paper to 8x10 and then I added the frame and flowers from the Pretty in Pink element kit.  I resized the elements to fit the 8x10 base and made the frame more oval than round.
I decided I didn't want a pink background in this piece after I loaded the frame and flowers.  I switched back to the background layer so I could change the color of the background.  Then,  I clicked enhance, adjust color...
then moved the hue tool to the left to create the pretty aqua color.  So easy and very effective!  I still have the ledger theme, just in a different color that will go with the colors in my living room.
Next, I opened an element from the French Kiss collection and resized it and printed it out twice.   The first image I cut out the bird house and the second image I just cut out the bees.
I sized it to fit right inside the frame as shown.  I used an exacto knife to slit the background layer so the birdhouse would tuck right inside.
I fussy cut the bees and adhered them with dimensional adhesive.  I love the little pop they give the project!!  I typed the sentiment on the computer using the KG Strawberry Limeade font. I love that font!!!  You can download your own copy of this font on www.dafont.com.  I inked each line of the sentiment  and adhered them with dimensional adhesive.  Don't you just love that digital frame!!  I looks like you can reach out and touch it in real life!!
For the banner, I loaded a Pretty In Pink Elements Paper Layer into PSE and lightened it.  I typed the letters using the EasyOpenFace font and then printed the sheet.
I punched each letter out with an EK Success punch and inked each one.  I glued them to a piece of twine and glued the twine to the frame.
I also stamped a little set of bees from Rhonna Farrer's Follow Your Heart Stamps by MME.  I had a blast making this project! It's one of my all time favorites!!

The little card was made using PSE too.  I used the same colored paper and printed out a 4 x 5 1/4 sheet.
I made the roses and bird house a little smaller in PSE and I framed the birdhouse with Papertrey Ink's Limitless Layers Square Dies. I punched the edge of the printed paper and added some lace and a pearl. The sentiment was printed on the computer using the KG Strawberry Limeade font.

Supplies Used:
Glitz Design Pretty In Pink Digital Papers:  Ledger
Glitz Design Pretty in Pink Digital Elements: Flowers, Frame 3, Paper Layer 4
Glitz Design French Kiss Digital Elements:  Whatnnots 9
You can find Glitz Design Digital goodies at http://www.jessicasprague.com/

I hope you get a chance to work with Glitz Design Digital goodies!  I totally had the best time ever playing with all the possibilities!!

Thanks for stopping by and I wish you a very Glitzy Day!!!
Kristii

2 comments:

Geri said...

How very pretty, Kristii!! Thanks for the little tutorial, too! I am so anxious to go 'more' digital! So many possibilities! I have a few of Rhonna's things (didn't even know about her until your post/challenge on hybrid projects!) and I have one Crafty Secrets CD. My computer will no longer open up images from my CD!! (just when I was getting excited!) I'll have to get it to the Dr., I guess, because this post of yours has me excited about digital again! Thanks so much for sharing! Have a great 4th!!

Helen F. said...

Kristii, this card is gorgeous! I have not tried too much with "digital" (I can barely get posts on my blog :) I thought your tutorial made this process look easy, will have to give it a try. Thanks for the encouragement.